Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ground Beef Soup aka Zuppa a la Sarah

Step 1:
1/2 - 1lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1/2 - 1lb mushrooms, sliced
Brown and drain ground beef
Add onion and mushrooms...cook until soft

Step 2:
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp. basil
Add to ground beef and stir well...cook for about 1 minute

Step 3:
1/4 cup cooking sherry
1 cup red wine (not cooking wine...but the bottle you plan to drink with dinner)
Add to beef and cook for about 2 minutes
NOTE: I have used beer when I didn't have any wine in the house (gasp!). It worked but wasn't as good. And don't kid yourself, this recipe NEEDS the sherry...the wine and the sherry are what make this recipe, so if you don't have them, jump in the car and head to the store and get them, b/c without them this is just beef/vegetable soup and not nearly as exciting.

Step 4:
16 oz can stewed or diced tomatoes
48 oz beef broth
Add to all of the above...bring to a boil

Step 5:
1 1/2 cups dry pasta (small noodles work best)
WARNING: don't use too much...or the soup turns into stew. You can always cook the noodles seperately and add when serving.

Serves 4 - 6

This recipe was shared with me by my friend Marie. It is one of the best soups I have ever had, and I used to be one of the soup cooks in a cafe, so I've had/made tons of different soups. Thanks Marie!

So, why does this soup make me happy? Well, the first time I had it was at Marie's with Marc...it was a very happy day. We laughed so hard. The next time I had it was with my husbands family on Christmas Eve...and Christmas Eve this year was wonderful and memorable. The next time was when we were snowed in on a cold winter day...just Marc, myself, and a puzzle, again, a happy day. And I made it over the weekend when some of my friends came over. I haven't laughed as hard as I laughed on Sunday night in a long time. So now this isn't only a really yummy soup, but I have unforgetable memories that go with it. And that makes me happy.

Oh, and since I didn't know if the soup had a real name or not, it has been dubbed "Zuppa a la Sarah" by Pat and Misti. I don't know why I get the credit for it, but I'll take it. :)

2 comments:

laurahiblclark said...

Do you realize the last time you blogged here, you didn't have Marc in your life?

Jennifer Postiglione said...

I can't wait to make this next week :)