Friday, March 23, 2007

Driving 101

So yesterday I took my sister Terri to music lessons...it was fun. We got there, she went in, and one crossword puzzle later, she came out. Then she asked if she could drive home...she gave me that look that only little sisters can give...so I gave her the keys. I remember being her age and nobody would let me drive, and I, of course, didn't want to be one of "those people."
So we hopped in the car
She adjusted the seat
Put the key in the ignition
Then I told her to re-adjust the seat because she slid it backwards but she's shorter than I am
Then she looked at me and said:
"I've never gone backwards before!"
"Well, first you put it into reverse...that's neutral"
"Oh! You're right!'
"Going backwards" proved to be a rather large success...as did the rest of the driving, which was good. After a bit, we swapped places. As she hopped in the passengers seat I gave her an approving pat...
Then she said:
"Now I can tell you what I couldn't tell you before...I've only driven once. That's it! And I didn't want to tell you because I knew you wouldn't let me drive if I did."
Well, she knows me all too well...

4 comments:

GreenGirl said...

Our mutual niece will never be permitted to drive; poor Amanda.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, in defense of Terri, you always put the seat so far up, I don't wonder that she felt the need to scoot it back even if she is shorter than you are!

A Mouse in My Bed said...

But I don't put the seat up that far! I only put it up far enough to reach the pedals! I promise!

Ken said...

Sarah - you don't have to be able to reach the pedals with your hands! Once you realize that, you won't have to move the seat up so far :-P