Monday, May 21, 2007

Silly little bird...

We have lots of birds at work. They're quite fun to watch. Today I was on the back deck for a bit and watched 2 cardinals do a good bit of flirting...they're much like humans, you know...she would fly from the fence to the shed, he'd follow her; then she'd look at him, but the second he looked back, she'd look away; then she'd fly over to the fence again...etc. etc...they carried on like this for a few minutes, and then he got smart, flew into a tree and she sat there lonely...and then followed. I guess she finally realized that he wasn't going to be putting up with just meaningless flirtation and she needed to make up her mind...it was cute...so I decided that they needed their privacy, and turned my eyes toward the pond where I saw a rabbit (not in the pond, hopping around near the pond). There was a butterfly down there too, and it looked like the rabbit was chasing the butterfly, but I know it really wasn't, because rabbits don't do that sort of thing.
Later in the day I was sitting at my desk (something I do only on very rare occaisions). I heard a funny thumping and chirping coming from the front of the building, so I went to check it out. At first I thought that a bird had gotten inside, but that wasn't the case...I looked out the front window and there was a cute little female cardinal pecking at her reflection in the purposeless bronze plate on the bottom of the door. As is always the case, she ran frantically when she saw me looking at her...but it was cute anyway....now the question remains: Who will be the lucky one that gets to clean the mat in front of the door...I'm off the next 2 days, so I'm sure it won't be me. :-)

No comments: